It’s that time of year! Time to sign up for new sessions of classes right and left. We’ve found lots of fun classes to keep you busy thru the long cold winter!
City of Alexandria Classes
The City of Alexandria’s Winter Program Guide was just released and registration will begin on Dec. 14th. Classes begin in January.
- Swimming: As always, swimming classes will be offered at Chinquapin Recreation Center with programs for every age and skill level beginning at age 6 month up to 17 years. Register as soon as possible because these classes fill up fast!
- Art: Abrakadoodle & Art in Hand art programs are offered for children 20 months – 3 years old.
- Music: Music classes are offered thru Music Together at Chinquapin Recreation Center for ages 0-5 years and Little Hands Make Music for ages 0-6 years at the Durant Center.
- Dance: Tiny Dancers dance classes are being held at the Charles Houston Recreation Center in Old Town for ages 2-5. Ballet is being offered for 5-6 year olds.
- Soccer: UK Elite Petite Soccer is offered for ages 2-6 years old.
- Basketball: Jump Shots for Tots for 3-6 years old and Jump Shots for Kids for 7 and up
- Gymnastics: Gymnastics classes are offered by All Star Legacy Cheer, Dance and Tumble at the Charles Houston Recreation Center for ages 3-12.
- Martial Arts: MiKiDo Ruff & Tumble is offered for 3-5 year olds and Tae Kwon Do is offered for ages 6 & up
- Nature and Science: Nature Programs are being offered at the Jerome “Buddie” Ford Nature Center. Little Adventures for ages 3-5 has monthly classes and in Jan., Feb. & March they are offering the following classes: Stories in Nature: Beaks, Artic Tales, Ancient Artists, Groundhogs, Valentine Nature Craft, Stories in Nature: Itchy Bear, Bit-O-Green, Turtles & World of Slime! Ages for classes range from 3-10. Even though some classes aren’t until March, be sure to sign up early, because these book quickly!
- Dance and Movement: Local Motion Studio is a brand new studio that is opening in January by an amazing Del Ray mom! Not only do they offer creative movement classes for the kids ages 2-7 but they also offer adult yoga, ballet barre, core & restore, prenatal fitness and postnatal fitness class. But here’s the best part; They offer quality on site childcare! Local Motion Studio’s mission is to bring the joy of movement to everyone – at any stage and any age. There is a special on adult 10-class passes now until opening on January 2nd; $50 off!! A great time to buy!
- Swimming: Registration is now open for swim classes at the YMCA. Act fast, because these classes fill up fast!
- Yoga: Mom & Baby Yoga classes are being held at Yoga Birth and Beyond starting in January. This class is for babies who are 6 weeks old but not crawling yet.
- Yoga in Daily Life offers yoga classes for children 4-8 years old on Mondays starting the first week in January. The class includes relaxation techniques, posture, stories, games and more.
- Infant massage classes will be offered in January and February by Moore Than Yoga. The classes are in Arlington but I love Jennifer Moore so much that I can endorse leaving Alexandria for this wonderful class.
- Wee Speak Spanish language for little learners now has registration open for winter classes. Wee Speak Spanish brings Spanish to life for children ages 18 months – 5 years in a way they naturally learn and enjoy themselves—through singing, dancing, games, and stories in Spanish. Classes are right here in Del Ray.
- Old Town French Winter/Spring classes to begin the week of January 23rd. Classes will be on Monday afternoons and Tuesday mornings. French playtime for you and your child to enjoy together! Your child will enjoy learning French by doing many fun, hands-on activities. Classes are for children ages 9 months to 7 years-old with parent/caregiver.
- Musikgarten offers full immersion classes in German at Emmanual Episcopal Church on Russell Rd. The classes combine the benefits of early childhood music with language immersion and enrich your family life with active music-making while nurturing language skills.
- A beginner class in baby sign language is being offered by Little Hands Speech Therapy. This class is a great introduction to sign language for moms, dads, grandparents, and caregivers. 90 minutes of signs, songs, and activities focused on learning and using signs to facilitate communication!
- Spanish Immersion Alexandria is registering now for the Winter Session. A home-based Spanish immersion drop off program for children ages 2-5. This is a weekly 1.5 hour Spanish program that includes a fun theme, music & songs, snack, craft and even a take-away homework assignment!
- The Ballet Studio is the small dance studio on Mt. Vernon Ave. across from the 7-11. They offer classes for children 3 and up.
- Art at the Center is offering lots of great classes starting Jan. 9th. Art classes start for children as young as 18 month and up.
- For children five and up, The Art League offers art classes that are now signing up for the winter session.
- The Little Theater of Alexandria is now enrolling for their winter/spring classes with fun classes for kids as young as 3.
- Music Together Alexandria The winter session will begin at Del Ray United Methodist Church on January 9, 2012. The Chinquapin Rec Center classes will begin on January 23. Currently enrolled families may enroll for the Winter session beginning November 16, 2011 through Sunday, December 4 for Del Ray Methodist Church classes. New families may register beginning Monday, December 5 for Del Ray.